One question I often hear from clients is "Does text email work?" and invariably I tell them "Text is King." Why do I say this? Text emails are less likely to be BLOCKED and if the content of the email is important to the recipient it can be just as effective--sometimes even more!
The following is a well thought-out example of a text email newsletter and its layout can be used as guide for non-technical applications as well. The top section summarizes the information covered in the email newsletter. Then the body offers excerpts and highlights with a link to a more in depth story posted on a website. There are advantages to leting your website do the heavy lifting, especially with rich media and critical placement of content. In addition to having more control, articles on your website can prove to be valuable for increasing search engine traffic.
Articles in this newsletter:
- Letter from Mårten Mickos, SVP, Database Group, and Rich Green, EVP, Software, Sun Microsystems
- Letter from Jonathan Schwartz, CEO & President, Sun Microsystems
- Press Release: Sun Microsystems Announces Completion of MySQL Acquisition
- MySQL and Sun World Tour
- MySQL and Sun Community Townhall
- Gartner News: Analysis on MySQL Acquisition
- MySQL Conference and Expo 2008 - Register Now
- White Paper: MySQL Enterprise for Managed Hosting & SaaS Providers
- Case Study: Alstom Selects MySQL as a Database Standard for Power Plant Monitoring
- MySQL Jobs
New Product Releases:
- New Release of MySQL Community Server 5.1.23 (Release Candidate)
- New Release of MySQL Community Server 5.0.51a (GA)
- New Release of MySQL Workbench 5.0.14 (Beta)
Hints & Tips:
- Article: A Q&A Session with Mårten Mickos about the Sun Acquisition
- Article: MySQL Information Schema Plugins: the best kept secret of MySQL 5.1
- Article: Reporting MySQL Internals with Information Schema plug-ins
- PlanetMySQL Blog Posts
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Using Events to Manage Table Partitioning by Date: Wrap-up
- PlanetMySQL Blog: PlanetMySQL Blog: Spring cleaning in MySQL supported platforms
- PlanetMySQL Blog: MySQL Cluster Features - What They Are, What They Do
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Analyze This
- Live Webinar: MySQL Guide to Choosing an Embedded Relational Database (EMEA)
- Live Webinar: MySQL Crazy Data Formats and Multiple Data Sources? Taming Your Messy Mashups
Training, Consulting & Certification:
- Consulting: MySQL Architecture & Design (2+ Days)
- Training: MySQL Performance Tuning (4 Days)
Letter from Mårten Mickos, SVP, Database Group, and Rich Green, EVP, Software, Sun Microsystems
Today, MySQL proudly joins forces with Sun Microsystems, the leading provider of platforms for the Web economy and the largest commercial open source contributor. We thank you - our customers, developers and community members - for your trust and continued support. Our commitment to you is that MySQL will continue to be a leader in the open source community and now, as a part of Sun, we will provide a new level of innovation, service and support.
Read the Letter:
Letter from Jonathan Schwartz, CEO & President, Sun Microsystems
Today is a big day for Sun and the MySQL community. We have closed our acquisition of MySQL AB and proudly join forces with this open source icon and the company behind the world's most popular open source database. Sun already is the leading provider of platforms for the Web economy and the largest commercial open source contributor. As of today, Sun also is a formidable player in the $15 billion database market. We thank you - our joint customers, developers and community members - for making this possible.
Read the Letter:
Press Release: Sun Microsystems Announces Completion of MySQL Acquisition
Sun Microsystems, Inc. today announced it has completed the acquisition of MySQL AB, developer of the world's most popular open source database, for approximately $1 billion in total consideration. Sun also unveiled the immediate availability of MySQL's complete portfolio of products and enterprise services backed by its 17,000-strong global sales and services organization and its extensive international network of authorized distribution channels. Sun now provides a single, secure choice for customers and developers seeking to put MySQL into deployment on a global basis.
Read the Press Release:
MySQL and Sun World Tour
February - April
We see more and more clients using text again. Since many email programs block images, this is not surprising! If you do not have the time and resources to develop a well planned HTML layout so your email looks professional, both with and without images, it can make you look bad. Text emails are a simple alternative that allow you to focus on your content and what you have to offer.