When it comes to online marketing, email marketing is one of the oldest strategies - and it also continues to be one of the most effective strategies. A properly run email marketing campaign can provide businesses with one of the best ROIs (return on investment) of any online marketing strategy. The following are a few simple tips that can help you to improve the effectiveness of your email marketing campaign:
- Create effective headlines- The headlines of your emails are essential to drawing the interest of your subscribers. A poor headline can result in a subscriber skipping over your email or even marking it as spam. Your headline needs to tell subscribers exactly what the email is about in as few words as possible - a headline that is too long is going to lose focus and will be difficult to read on mobile devices. Keep it short and sweet.
- Don't send spam- Write content that your readers will find useful and helpful. This means that you should avoid constantly sending out promotional content. There's nothing wrong with informing your subscribers of a sale, but trying to push your products in every email and sending them out every day is a sure way to have readers unsubscribe. Remember, your email marketing campaign is about nurturing your leads and developing relationships. The goal should be to create customers, not sales.
- Segment your emails- Make sure your subscribers are only getting email content that is relevant to their needs. If you're in the business of selling shoes and are sending out an email about basketball shoes, sending it out to customers who don't play basketball makes no sense. You can find out pertinent information to help you segment your email list by asking the right questions on your email opt-in forms.
- Use calls-to-action - Your subscribers are going to have no idea what to do with your email besides read it if you don't provide a call-to-action. They can't read your mind, which means you need to tell them what you want them to do, whether it's to visit your blog, check out a new product or download a free eBook, to name a few options.
- Optimize your emails for mobile use- A huge number of your subscribers are in most likelihood checking their email on their smart phones. If they have trouble reading your email on their smaller screens, they'll simply give up and may even unsubscribe. Use a responsive design template for your email so that the content is properly displayed. Use a call-to-action button at the bottom instead linking through text so that mobile users will have no trouble clicking it with their thumbs.
- Break up your text - When a subscriber opens an email, the last thing they want to see is a wall of text. Break your text up using bullet points, numbers and headers. It should be easy to scan.
Be sure to keep these tips in mind in order to create a more effective email marketing campaign.